Monday, February 3, 2014

The Luxen Series Book #4: Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Quick summary of the other three books in this series: Kat moves to a small town after the death of her father. Goes over to her next-door neighbor’s house to ask for directions to the store, where she encounters Daemon who instantly – for some unknown reason – hates her. His sister on the other hand – Dee – instantly becomes friends with her, even though Daemon warns Kat to stay away. Long story short, Daemon and Dee are actually aliens, a species called Luxen. But there are others, evil aliens called Arum that want to kill Luxen to absorb their powers. Some of these Arum are after Daemon and Dee, and Kat lures them away. She gets injured – like near the point of death – and Daemon heals her. But what he doesn’t know is that he mutated her. She’s now a hybrid and connected to Daemon. If one of them dies, the other dies. Oh, and plot twist, Daemon has been crushing on Kat since she moved in. Other stuff happens, Daemon and Kat fall in love, people die, a guy named Blake shows up, and it’s revealed that Dawson – Daemon and Dee’s brother - and Bethany – his human girlfriend – are actually alive and imprisoned by a group called Daedalus. During a rescue attempt of Bethany, Kat is trapped and taken. And that’s where book 4 starts.

After book 3’s ending, I was desperate to get my hands on book 4 and even when I did – I caved and bought it of Apple’s bookstore – it took me a few months to get around to reading it. When I finally did, I was instantly depressed. Kat was indeed captured by Daedalus, and they try to explain that what they’re doing isn’t as bad as the Luxen have made it out to be. And the killer thing was that Blake – yes, the same Blake who betrayed them – was actually working for Daedalus the whole time Kat and the others were planning their break in to the compound.

I’ll be the first to admit, I’ve been waiting for Blake’s death for ages. He is a complete and utter asshole. Still though, as much as I wanted him dead…his death was bittersweet. When Daemon does finally get reunited with Kat, it still wasn’t what I was expecting either… I was expecting him to come in guns blazing, not giving himself up freely to them.

The funny thing about the first part of this book was the fact that even though Deadalus kept claiming that they weren’t the bad guys there, they kept revealing these horrible things that they did. Like the Origins – babies from a Luxen and a hybrid – and the other reason they were excited to get Kat and Daemon into their compound. It turns out that they wanted the two to mate and create an origin. Ew.

The second part of the book gets better. Daemon and Kat escape from the compound and meet up with Luc and Daemon’s family. There are some uber cute fluffy scenes between Kat and Daemon, not to mention a few lemon scenes that you usually don’t see in young adult books. But while we’re on the subject of Daemon and Kat scenes…

Holy shit! Marriage! Are they insane?! I know that they love each other, and that they will probably never be with anyone else because of their bond and all, but holy shit. I still think they’re a little young to be doing this.

Okay, moving on. Can we all admit that the scene where Matthew is revealed to be the one who has been betraying them all along was totally unexpected? Even though, when you think about it…the only class that Kat and Blake had together was Matthew’s…. hm…. You know what, I might have totally missed that one because I was totally concentrated on Daemon and Kat cuteness.

And the reveal scene in Vegas. OH. MY. GOD. I was crying so hard during the whole thing. I mean, I was finally getting to like Andrew and Ash and then…poof. Just like that they’re dead. Damn.

However, that wouldn’t be the only punches that Armentrout would pull in this book. Just when you think everything is going to be okay…it’s revealed that Beth is pregnant and then…

More Luxen land on Earth and Daemon, Dee, and Dawson get all weird…THE END. What?! That’s it? And I have to wait until…oh. Book 5 comes out the day after my birthday. Well, I know what I’m doing the rest of that week.

Final Rating: 5 out of 5 stars. Even though the book had a slow beginning, the Daemon/Kat cuteness was amazing, the twists were insane and the ending was mind blowing.

Bookshelf worthy? I’m not usually one for the whole sci-fi genre, but this series is fantastic and I would love to have them on my shelves.   

No comments:

Post a Comment