Monday, February 3, 2014

Nightshade Legacy: Snakeroot by Andrea Cremer


Bosque Mar just won’t die. No, seriously, after five damn books of fighting this asshole, the guy just won’t leave this world alone.

Snakeroot takes place right after Bloodrose, only instead of following Calla, it follows Adne, Ren’s sister, as she deals with the fallout of the last battle with Bosque Mar. It turns out that even though we assumed that Adne and Connor were going to live happily ever after, Adne is having nightmares and these nightmares aren’t pretty. They’re scaring her and everyone else around her.

Logan Bane – the Keeper who ran off in Bloodrose – seems to be plotting something. Apparently, feeling bad for summoning Bosque Mar to his undoing, he’s trying to make things right and reopen the Rift. I didn’t really care for his character in the original trilogy and man, did I really hate this guy in this book. I literally said out loud a few times, “Oh, look who finally decided to grow a backbone,” etc. However, I will give Logan this, his first act of magic brought the spirit of Ren back, which in my book is a good thing. I still hate the fact that he was killed in the last book and with him being brought back in this one, even if it is as a spirit, sort of redeems Logan…

Until he kills one of his Keeper friends and tries to sway Sarah – Shay’s mom – to bring him a box by promising her that he might be able to bring Shay back to her. Speaking of Sarah, have I mentioned yet how much I hated her? No? Well, I really did. I get where she was coming from – she hasn’t seen her son in years, and when she’s finally reunited with him it’s only for, like, a minute before he permanently becomes a wolf – but couldn’t she see that he chose to become a wolf? He chose to be with Calla and the others.

The book ends with Adne going off with Logan to see Bosque Mar and the Searchers experiencing another upheaval. Seriously, what is the point of Conatus? There is always an usurp of power going on. I thought these guys were supposed to be the good guys? Anyway, it took my a while to try and figure out just where Cremer was going with this book, and in reality I’m still not a hundred percent sure. My theory is that Adne is somehow the reincarnation of Eira – that’s the only way I can explain the whole dream Adne had where Bosque Mar was touching her and telling her about the son she was carrying.

Final Rating: 3 out of 5 stars. Cremer’s writing is still fantastic, but seemed to be lacking the awesomeness that was in the prequel series. Not to mention the characters didn’t really jump off the page like they did in the previous five books, and I’m still not sure just where she’s going with this book.

Bookshelf worthy? If you’re the kind of person who has to own every book in a series, good or bad, then yes. Otherwise, I’d try your local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment