Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Blue Bloods Series Book #5: Misguided Angel by Melissa de la Cruz


The biggest issue that I’ve had with this series was the fact that you had 3 different narrators and that they would change every chapter – or two depending on how series the events were in the last chapter. The problem was sort of resolved in this book with the novel being divided into four parts – Schuyler, Mimi, a Venator named Deming, and a sort of epilogue dealing with the three narrators. I liked the switch because you finally got to groove with the characters and didn’t have to worry at the end of the chapter of switching to a different narrator. My only complaint was that each section – except for the Deming section – was too short! Just when things were getting interesting with Schuyler and Jack, BAM! Part two: Mimi Force. And just when things were getting interesting with Mimi, BAM! Part three: Deming.

Anyway, Schuyler and Jack have gained the protection of the European Coven, but it was revealed at the end of the last book that the Countess was Lucifer’s first wife in another cycle. So Schuyler and Jack are on the run while looking for one of the Gates to Hell. Mimi Force is dealing with the aftermath of her bonding disaster and has been named Regent of the Coven. She has to deal with a possible discovery of their race by the Red Bloods and the kidnapping/burning of a Blue Blood. The new character Deming is brought in by Mimi to investigate who could have possibly have done this.

What all three of the narrators discover is that the Silver Bloods have been mating with humans for years, creating demon spawn. Yikes.

Out of all of these books so far I think this one is my favorite. Not only do you get to see Jack and Schuyler together, but also you get to – finally – see some character development in Mimi, especially when she starts to become friends with Oliver. Again, my only complaint was that the book was too short and how could de la Cruz rectify this? Um, how about adding the events of the novella Bloody Valentine to the end of this book? Especially because it turns out the events in the novella are important to the next book, if what I’ve read so far of Lost in Time is any indication.

Sorry, I get annoyed with novellas, because I don’t read them. I personally think they’re just an attempt by the author to lengthen a series and it annoys me. It’s like I have enough books to read, I can’t waste my time with 50-80 paged novellas, and usually the events in a novella aren’t too important to the storyline of the rest of the series. Except for Bloody Valentine apparently. *grumbles*

Final Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. Again, the plot thickens. Why is there a fake Gate? What can these Silver Blood/Red Blood spawn do? And will the Coven go underground?

Bookshelf worthy? Still have them on my shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment