Sunday, January 19, 2014

Queen of Babble by Meg Cabot


Here’s the thing that I love about Meg Cabot’s writing. She very rarely pulls punches that you don’t see coming, and after reading really heavy YA fiction, reading her work is such a relief. Her characters are witty and written in such a way that you can’t help but relate to them in some way.

Queen of Babble’s heroine Lizzie – not Liz – is one such character. She’s a recent college grad – sort of except for a 50-page thesis that she still has to complete – who is on her way to England for the first time ever to spend some time with her soul mate Andrew. She has all these fantasies of how her time in England is going to be spent. And once she gets there…

Well, what fun would it be if things in her fantasies actually turned out in real life? No fun at all. She quickly realizes that Andrew isn’t who she thought he was and she runs. Lucky for her, her best friends Shari and Chaz are also in Europe – in France – and she flees to spend the rest of her vacation with them. But, of course, due to her really bad day she has a little bit of a breakdown on the train and spills everything that has happened to her very nice seatmate.

Who turns out to be the owner of the château her friends are staying at. Oh, boy…

I loved this book, except for the ending. For some reason, even though there was a gradual build up to what happened, I felt that the ending was rushed a bit. It’s like, okay, you’ve spent over 300 pages describing the relationship and then it’s like wham, bam, thank you ma’am. The End. I mean, honestly, I understand that it set it up perfectly for the next book, but c’mon.

Final rating: 4 out of 5 stars. The ending still bugs me, but I still loved the writing and the characters.

Bookshelf worthy? I’m a huge fan of Meg Cabot’s and if I had the room I would own everything she comes out with – except her middle school Allie Rules series – but alas, I don’t have the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment