Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell



Usually I am very wary of Young Adult fiction that has a lot of hype. I mean, most of the time I’m really lucky and I agree with the masses that this book was really good – i.e. the Divergent series, The Fault in Our Stars, etc. – but eventually, I know that my streak has got to run out eventually.

But Fangirl was not the case.

I don’t usually get so involved with a book that I forget to eat or sleep, but with Fangirl I almost did, if it wasn’t for the fact that my parents were there to remind me to eat dinner, and my subconscious was there screaming at me to sleep. The book was that good.

The story revolves around an eighteen-year-old girl named Cather who is just starting college, has a twin sister named Wren, and has obsession with writing Simon Snow fanfiction. Now, from what I gathered from reading the Simon Snow excerpts that Rowell wrote before some of the chapters, the Simon Snow series looks almost like the Harry Potter series, but with a few different twists. However, the excerpts made me curious. I would really like it if Rowell actually wrote the Simon Snow series. I even tweeted her about it – and she responded!
 So, I don’t know what I should take from the smiley face, but hopefully – maybe?

Anyway, I really loved the characters in this book, they were written so well that even though there were some I was supposed to hate – Nick, Professor Piper – I couldn’t because they were written so well. I especially loved the character of Cather, she reminded me of myself so much that there were times I had to close the book and wonder if I would have handled some of the situations the way she did. Answer? Definitely.

I’m not even sure what else to say about this book that hasn’t already been said. I mean, sheesh. I could keep going on and on about the plot, but I would probably give too much away. So…

Final rating: 5 out of 5 stars. Excellent writing! Excellent characters! The only thing is I really, really want a sequel to see how she deals with her sophomore year. But at the same time it’s perfect as a stand-alone.

Bookshelf worthy? Yes, yes, and um yeah, YES! In fact, I’m trying to figure out a way to put it on my own shelf…it might be a tight fit but…

No comments:

Post a Comment