Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Mortal Instruments Series Book #3: City of Glass by Cassandra Clare


Originally read in April 2013 reread in February 2014.

So, City of Ashes ended with a mysterious woman approaching Clary telling her that she knows what her mother took and can help her find the antidote. City of Glass takes place right after, with Clary packing for Idris even though Jace doesn’t want her to go. It turns out that Clary isn’t the only one going to the Shadowhunter’s homeland; because of Valentine’s possession of both the Mortal Cup and the Mortal Sword a session of the Clave needs to be held.

Due to some interesting circumstances Simon also comes with the Lightwoods and Jace into Idris – which leads to a whole set of problems. Like for instance, because of Imogene’s death a new Inquisitor had to be appointed and honestly. Is it some sort of job requirement that the Inquisitor has to have a vendetta against Downworlders? Or have a screw loose in their head? I mean, honestly. Adeltree is quite the ass, I was really happy when Valentine reached into his chest and ripped out his heart. How sad is that?

As for that relationship that I should have felt bad for rooting for because it was incestuous, but I didn’t because…well, I have a feeling that they weren’t really brother and sister – well, as it turns out I was right! I was literally jumping up and down with joy when I read Jocelyn’s tale that Jace isn’t her son – the ass that was Sebastian Valec is actually her brother. Can I just say that I loved Simon’s reaction to this bit of news? “Well, it turns out you still kissed your brother.” Dude.

Anyway, everything works out in the end. Valentine is killed by Raziel. Jace kills Jonathon. The Angel brings Jace back to life. There seems to be a new pact with the Downworlders. The only thing that pissed me off was the fact that Max – the youngest Lightwood – was killed. That was just… God. *reaches for Kleenex* Even during the second read, I was so pissed off when Sebastian – no, wait, Jonathon – killed him. GAHHHHHH!

Anyway. With everything ending happily that’s it. The End.

Wait. What do you mean there’s another three books?

Final Rating: 5 out of 5 stars. Great tie up and tremendous reveal of who Clary’s brother REALLY is. Guess I shouldn’t be surprised that there are another three books considering Jonathon’s body was never found.

Bookshelf worthy? …I own them already, so what does that tell you?

No comments:

Post a Comment