Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Queen of Babble in the Big City by Meg Cabot


 Lizzie Nichols is back! It’s been three months since the last book and Lizzie is in New York, hitting the pavement looking for a job and a place to live with her best friend Shari. The only problem is that even though she has a degree (kind of) from the University of Michigan and restoration experience, no bridal or clothing boutique is interesting in hiring her. But Luke, on the other hand, has asked her to move in with him.

Lizzie doesn’t know what to do. She wants to move in with Luke because she is imagining that she will one day marry him, but on the other hand, she doesn’t want to abandon her friend Shari, even though she could move in with her boyfriend Chaz. So she moves in with Luke, and finds herself a job at a bridal restoration boutique, the only problem is that the job doesn’t pay.

But Chaz – what a guy he is – tells her that his dad’s law firm is looking for a morning secretary and it pays $20 an hour! Considering the tasks that I read that she had to do for this secretary position, I wouldn’t mind having her job. I mean, honestly…

The usual drama ensues because of Lizzie’s big mouth, but gah. I’m sorry, I’m happy for Lizzie that her non-paying gig at the wedding restoration boutique played out well for her. I even liked the fact that Chaz and Shari broke up – they totally weren’t right for each other – but the thing that kills me is Lizzie’s assumption that Luke is going to marry her. I was also pissed with Luke’s reaction when she finally reveals that fact. “I’m not going after you.”

But he does anyway! And not only that but he proposes to her too! I know Lizzie says yes – the next book is Queen of Babble Gets Hitched – but honestly, after what he had just told her about his feelings about marriage; not to mention what Chaz – his best friend – said about Luke getting married, WHY would you say yes to that? He’s a tool! Yes, he’s a prince, but still…

Right now, I’m rooting for Chaz.

Final Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. Great plot, story, and writing. Just annoying inner monologue from Lizzie. Some of it I get, the other half…not necessary.

Bookshelf worthy? Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment