Wednesday, January 29, 2014

1-800-WHERE-R-YOU series Book #1: When Lightning Strikes by Meg Cabot


Side note: What is with me reading a Meg Cabot book after reading intense books? So weird…

As with all of Meg Cabot’s books, I’ve read this series before, but it’s been a few years since I have. Right, so… When Lightning Strikes is the first book in a series about a girl named Jessica Mastrani who on her way home from school one day gets struck by lightning. She doesn’t think too much of it, until the next morning when she knows the location of two missing kids.

Yes, that’s right. A girl gets struck by lightning and after seeing pictures of people – such as the missing kids on the back of a milk carton – and some sleep she knows where those people are. Now, she doesn’t freak out about this…too much. Jess instead does the right thing, and calls the 1-800-WHERE-R-YOU hotline and reports the locations of these kids. Obviously, because she keeps doing this, people start to get interested on how exactly she knows this and the FBI gets involved.

Now, I’ve probably already said this about Meg Cabot’s writing, but she creates her characters so well that those characters that you’re supposed to hate you really do come to hate them and want to slap the crap out of them – yikes…I’m a real violent person apparently.

…Right, anyway, there were only two complaints with this book. One, the character of Rob Wilkes – aka Jess’s love interest – as much as I love him and ‘awed’ at the kisses and stuff…I’m just annoyed that he can’t date her because he’s on probation and she’s sixteen while he’s eighteen. What is with Cabot writing male characters that the female character can’t have? I mean, The Mediator Series – Suze can’t have Jesse because he’s a ghost, The Princess Diaries – Mia can’t have Michael because first he’s Lily’s brother and then because he becomes this big engineer, etc. After a while, it kind of gets annoying, but damn if it doesn’t make for one hell of an interesting plot. Now, the second one isn’t just an issue with this book, but with a lot of the Young Adult fiction genre. The parents in this book were so freaking annoying, and this isn’t just a problem with this book as I’ve said. I’m not sure if it’s because it’s young adult fiction, which mostly deals with teenagers, and teens for some reason always have problems with their parents… But, yikes, I can’t tell you how often I’ve come across parents in a book that I was just like – seriously? Just…no…

Final rating: 4 out of 5 stars. Great story, great characters, and amazing set up for future books.

Bookshelf worthy? As I’ve said before with Meg Cabot, yes. Love her writing and since this isn’t my first time reading this series, definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment