Friday, July 11, 2014

The Chemical Garden Trilogy Book #3: Sever by Lauren DeStefano


Another final book of a series that I actually liked, something is wrong with this picture. And while the other two books of this series were disgusting – but in a good way I swear – this one wasn’t.

Rhine has survived Vaughn’s experiments thanks to help from Linden and Cecily. They rescued her from the basement, and it turns out that Vaughn lied about Linden renouncing her. He didn’t even know that she was back, but because of her lies and disappearance, he doesn’t believe her about anything she says. Which includes everything that his father has been up to. Mostly, it’s because he’s hurt by what she’s done, but it’s also because it’s his father and he trusts him with everything. Either way, Rhine knows she can’t go back to Vaughn’s mansion. In fact, as soon as she’s recovered she needs to leave Florida and go to Rhode Island, where her brother was last seen. He’s involved with the bombings of factories and research laboratories in charge of creating the cure. But like with everything in Rhine’s world, nothing is what it seems.

This book was fantastic. Thankfully, a lot of the gross needles and experimentation scenes weren’t involved in this book. Characters who you met in the last book make appearances again and I was floored – sort of – when I learned about who Madame’s daughter really was. I loved the character of Reed – Vaughn’s brother – who is everything his brother isn’t. I especially liked the character development of Cecily, she has become so strong since the first book! There was also a plot point that reminded me a lot of the ending of Catching Fire and the beginning of Mockingjay. My only complaint about this book was that the ending was sort of anti-climatic. Things got tied up way too tidily for my tastes, but it wasn’t a bad ending.

Final Rating: 5 out of 5 stars. For a person who isn’t a big fan of endings I’ve enjoyed the final books in series a lot more than I usually do of late.

Bookshelf worthy? Support your local library!


No comments:

Post a Comment