Friday, February 21, 2014

Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz


Oh, look, another book about vampires. But this one is different. This one has to deal with vampires who live in Manhattan and OMG – they’re rich! Think vampires meets Gossip Girl and you’ve basically got Blue Bloods.

I remember reading this series over eight years ago, and again a few years ago back when book 4 came out. And now I kind of remember why I didn’t 100% love this series even though it was basically crossed two of my favorite things ever, and that was the craziness of the plot and the jumpiness of the POVs.

Let’s think about this shall we. These ‘blue bloods’ are vampires and originally they were angels who fell. The ones who didn’t abide by the “the rules of conduct” became ‘silver bloods,’ which basically makes them the crazy evil guys. And of course, like with any book, the ‘blue bloods’ are in denial about their existence. They’re just a fairy tale! Ha-ha. You’ve got to be kidding me.

And just when you’re starting to groove with a particular character, in the next chapter, de la Cruz shifts to another character. It was distracting and annoying. Pick one character, please! Or even two, but don’t go into three/four.

Okay, as for the characters… Mimi Force reminds me of Blair from Gossip Girl and whatever the former rich girl was in The Au Pairs (also by Cruz). Basically, I really hated her character and I’m waiting to see some major character development with her like the other ones I mentioned. Jack Force, Mimi’s brother, at first seems like the cool guy that the – who I can only assume is – main character Schuyler instantly falls for, but then he turns into someone who is easily manipulated by his father. And while we’re on the subject, what’s the deal with Charles Force? Schuyler is pretty cool, along with Mimi’s friend Bliss. I’m just waiting for Bliss to get away from Mimi’s control – it looked promising at the midpoint but it did a 180 at the end. As for Oliver, I loved his character. I was especially happy that he isn’t into Schuyler like most male best friends are lately.

Final Rating: 3 out of 5 stars. The characters are okay. The plot was intriguing, but needs more execution.

Bookshelf worthy? I own the whole series, because at one point they were really good. But I was young.

No comments:

Post a Comment